Jacob helped us receive our next parenthood milestone by getting staples today! Let me just say how proud and impressed I was with this little boy today. He was so brave and got his 5 staples like a champ!
We were visiting the Funk's and literally were just about to walk out the door to leave for home when Jacob comes zooming around the corner with Myer, aka the tickle monster, chasing behind when, crash! Jacob forgets there are stairs and tumbles down them hitting the back of his head on the baseboard at the bottom. (At least this is what was gathered from the little bits and pieces that everyone saw...) I was just getting Austin in his car seat at the time. Of course Jacob handled it like a champ like he always does when he gets hurt and even though he had blood dripping down the back of his head and a gaping hole he just keeps saying. I'm ok!
So we decide we should probably take him in to get checked out. I was very worried to take him in because of the traumatic experience for both of us at his last doctor appointment when he got his blood drawn. So I decided I was going to try and talk him through everything I could think they might do to try to prepare him to the best of my ability. At first when we told him he had a cut on the back of his head and that he would have to go to the doctor he kind of had a big melt down. But I just tried to explain over and over what would be happening and with a little bribing (candy and a new airplane) he seemed to become ok with going. I think all of my talking helped because he seriously did soooo good! Like he couldn't have done better. I explained that the doctor might look in his ears and his eyes and they might check his heart and that they would have to give him shots on the back of his head to help it feel better. At first he wasn't very excited about the shots (who can blame him) But after explaining everything he became much more ok with them. I told him that it might be scary but that mom or dad would be with him the whole time and he could sit on one of our laps if he wanted to.
As soon as the nurse brought us back he started asking questions and nonstop talked to her. He asked if they were going to check his ears and eyes and heart and kept asking what she was going to do next and asked her about everything she was doing and writing and it was just so cute. If anyone asked what happened Jacob went into the whole story about being chased by the tickle monster and falling down the stairs and Holland was always mentioned. Then when it was time for the shots and staples. (I made the mistake of telling him they were going to bring a gun in, like a staple gun, and he looks up at me with huge round eyes and says "They are going to shoot me?" Oops...) He wrapped his arms around me and the nurse held his head to my chest and he just sat there. Right before they started Jacob all the sudden remembered he had given dad his pacifier and asked for it back.
I could tell when something hurt because he would squeeze me harder when it hurt. I could tell getting the staples hurt and the first two he handled really well but by the third the tears started. He asked if we were all done and the doctor told him two more and asked what color of popsicle he wanted when he was done. Through clenched teeth and held back tears he said, "green!" He got the last two with some tears but didn't try and move or get away at all. Just held onto me and squeezed harder and harder. He seriously did so good! After we were done he was happy and smiling and even more happy when they brought him a sticker and a green popsicle. He blew me away with how well he handled it! Now he is sporting 5 staples in the back of his head. He is one tough kid and we sure love him!





Wow he is so brave!! That's awesome that he handled it so well! I hope that he will heal quickly and it won't be painful. I love the new layout of your blog! It looks great!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I thought it was time to switch things up. :)
DeleteHe will match his cousin Halley when he gets them taken out. She had 5 put in the back of her head when she was 5, from jumping on Grandma's bed and falling backwards onto the bed frame. He is a tough one! I'm glad he got a popcycle! :)
ReplyDelete