Tuesday, June 21, 2016

1 Month




I can't believe our little Austin in already a month old. It goes by so fast. You blink and eye and that newborn stage is over. Austin has already gained over two pounds and is now 10 lbs 2 oz. He has gained the most weight in the first month then my other kids. He is in size 1 diapers and I just changed him to 0-3 month clothes today.


The first couple weeks of Austin's life was kind of rough. For both of us I think. From day one I felt like food being in Austin's tummy bothered him. Gas? His digestive system just figuring things out? I don't know. But he just looked like he was in pain a lot of the time and would cry quite a bit if he was awake. He has definitely been our baby that cries the most even though I would consider him to be on the "easier" side of babies. But coming after the most content baby in the world, Ida. Any baby would seem more difficult. We spent a few nights with me holding him all night in the rocking chair and nursing as soon as he would wake up because that was the only way I could keep him settled down. I feel like it's always kind of a challenge trying to "figure" the baby out. How do they like being held. What settles them down. We haven't hesitated at all in giving him the pacifier. (Which he takes very well) Sometimes he just sucks it so furiously that I know he is in pain. Especially those first 2 weeks.

Since the first two weeks either we are just figuring things out better or he doesn't seem to be as bothered anymore. We still have our bad days. Where I just feel like I have to hold him all day long and he's never really content and doesn't sleep much. But they are becoming less. On fussy days it can be very emotionally and mentally draining. But sometimes all it takes is a good cry and then you are ready to face the world again. Currently he seems to do pretty well during the day but evenings can be rough. I'm thinking he just gets gas cramps and is in pain. So I just try to keep the gas medicine in him and I've started trying to figure out if there is something I'm eating that may be bothering him.

He isn't very content when he is awake but usually in the mornings we get a very happy Austin that will sit and entertain himself for a bit without getting upset. I just find myself not knowing what to do with him when he is awake! Ida was just so easy and I never really had to hold her. But Austin likes to be entertained when he is awake. So I have to force myself to just sit and entertain him. :) Like I said. It's a learning process for both of us! But Austin is pretty strong and is already really good at holding up his head. I don't do tummy time nearly as much as I should but he would probably be really strong if I would actually take the time to do tummy time. He also really enjoys his baths! He doesn't however like the car seat. The only way we can kind of keep him happy in the car seat is by swaddling before we put him in.

Austin is sleeping pretty good right now. His schedule is still all over the place. Everyday is different. At night he seems to have a few days where he goes to bed between 8-9. Then it changes and for a few days he doesn't go to bed till between 10-11. But he usually does a 4 hour stretch at night then every 2 hours after that till morning. He also seems to take a 3-4 hour nap in the afternoon. He will also have sleeping days and awake days. Some days he sleeps most of the day. Then other days he seems to be awake a lot during the day. On a side note... I should mention Austin doesn't sleep anywhere but in the vibrating bouncy chair. :) It is nice to be able to move him where ever I want him. But I'm sure eventually I'll want him to be able to sleep without vibration. At night I don't turn it on anymore. But during the day I use it. You do what you gotta do to get sleep :) This time around not getting the sleep at night is killing me! I'm so tired all the time. And waking up in the mornings is so hard....

Where Austin spends a lot of his time....

A week ago we got a first real official smile! I didn't even have to do anything. I was just holding him and looked down and he was smiling at me! It was so cute. I love baby smiles so much! We are all loving Austin!! He really likes to be swaddles and cuddled so we are getting lots of cuddle time in!


No comments:

Post a Comment