I went in for my 2 week post-op appointment for baby cyst and now I don't like the doctor even more then before. First off he came into the appointment completely unprepared. He sent a sample of my tissue to be tested to make sure it wasn't cancerous and instead of reading the report before hand and being prepared with answers, he reads it right in front of me. It turns out my baby cyst wasn't a cyst at all but a borderline tumor. But because he wasn't prepared he wasn't able to give me any answers to what that meant or exactly what the next step would be. He did say that although the tumor wasn't cancerous now it could grow back and become cancerous in the future depending on what kind it was and then told me he had to make some phone calls to the place that tested the tissue to figure out what to do next.... Yup... That was my appointment.
I spent the next 24 hours freaking out because I was going to get cancer and unfortunately Scott was out of town and out of service at the time for work so I wasn't even able to talk to him about it. I literally didn't sleep at all that night. By the next morning I had calmed down. If it was going to turn into cancer it was. And if it wasn't, it wouldn't. I didn't even know if I had anything to be freaking out about in the first place.
Dr. Robinson (I don't recommend him to anyone) was supposed to call me the next day but didn't. After two days I called them and they made a bunch of excuses and said they had been playing phone tag with the test lab. I don't believe them. Either they hadn't tried calling at all yet at this point or had maybe tried once and hadn't gotten through. Finally, 5 days after my appointment he called me right at closing time and left a message with me. I talked to him on the phone a week after my appointment and finally got some answers.
After talking to him at sounds like there is a 20% chance of the tumor coming back at all and a 3% chance of it ever turning into cancer. I've decided Dr. Robinson is terrible at explaining things and still don't really understand the difference between a tumor and cyst because it sounds like it still had all the looks of a cyst. He did say they found intestinal cells in the tumor that are also found in the appendix, which I have already had removed, so we wouldn't have to worry about a tumor growing on my appendix. That is about all I got. So we will be doing a follow up ultrasound to make sure the cyst didn't come back in 4 months. If it hasn't come back we will do another 6 months after that. If it hasn't come back by then it sounds like I don't really have to worry about it coming back. If it does come back they will probably do surgery to remove my left ovary. So it sound's like there isn't really a big chance of it coming back at all so I don't really need to worry about it. If it does come back I am definitely changing doctors.
No comments:
Post a Comment