Saturday, April 4, 2015

1 Month






I can't believe my little Ida is already 1 month old. She has been so much fun and I have completely enjoyed cuddling, and loving on her.

Ida has a fascination with her tongue and has since day one. She is constantly sticking it out and moving it around her mouth. It's kind of fun to watch. She also really enjoys being in the swing. I could probably keep her in the swing all day and she would be happy. I don't really like doing that though and don't like letting her fall asleep in it. When she starts getting tired I like to get her out and let her nap in her bassinet. But she will stay awake for an hour in the swing just looking around. It is really convenient. I feel like she is a really content baby. When she isn't being bothered with a burp or gas or belly ache she is fine sitting on the floor looking around, making noises and kicking her arms and legs. We did go through a little bit of a fussy stage around 2 weeks. But I feel like that was mostly her transitioning from sleeping all the time to being awake more. I also think she was being bothered by some gas. She only poops once a day (most of the time, sometimes every other day) and I feel like that also causes her some discomfort. Ida does like baths and getting her diaper changed for the most part. She hardly ever cries and will in fact sometimes stop crying if she is. (Could be that she is happy that I am changing her diaper)


Ida smiled around 3 weeks. I will often see her smile to herself when she is laying on the floor or in her swing when nobody is around her. I think it is the cutest! She will also smile almost every time when I play pat-a-cake with her. But she is also very quick to let you know when she isn't happy. She has some lungs on her and isn't afraid to use them! She'll go from perfectly content to screaming at the top of her lungs in less than a minute. Although she is quick to start screaming, she is also quick to forgive if you pick her up and almost immediately stops crying. So that is nice. She also likes to just cuddle. When she is crying I'll wrap her in a blanket and sit and hold her and it isn't long before she is sitting contently just staring at me. That I kind of love.



Ida also hasn't taken to a pacifier much. She will here and there but for the most part she is completely fine without it. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I feel she cries more than Jacob did because she wont take one. They are just so convenient. On the other hand it would be really nice not having to worry about it. So I use it sometimes but try not to also. Because of this she also does not take a bottle very well. So I might not have as much freedom as I did with Jacob because he was happy with anything you put in his mouth.


Ida has been a really good eater. She currently is eating every 2 hours which I like. I always worried about my milk supply with Jacob so this time around I'm trying to feed her more often and I'm also pumping extra everyday so I can build up my supply early. I hope that will help through the rest of my nursing experience with her.





Ida for the most part has been a very good sleeper. The first two weeks she literally slept constantly. She'd sleep so long I'd have to wake her up and feed her and try to keep her awake long enough to actually get some food before she fell back to sleep. The rest of the month we had to get her nights and days switched around. One thing I forgot about newborns is how unscheduled their sleep pattern is. No two days are the same. She sleeps at completely random times. She also seems to have sleep days and awake days. One day she will sleep almost all day and I'll be worried she'll be awake all night but she sleeps good through the night as well. Then the next day she'll hardly sleep during the day. Around two weeks I started trying to pay attention to her 90 min sleep cycle and for the most part has been working really well. By the end of the month I feel like we've figured out her sleeping at night. She usually goes to sleep around 10-11 at night and wakes up to eat every 3 in a half hours. around 1:30ish and 5ish and wakes up between 8-9. So not bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment