May 4, 2013
I went in for my 36 week appointment very excited because I thought I would be checked to see if I was dilated! Well I wasn't checked for dilation but the babies position was checked. And we discovered by first external evaluation then by ultrasound that our little boy is very comfortably sitting with his butt in my pelvic region and his head toward my chest. AKA breech. Let's just say I didn't take the news well. I was given two options after this point. We could try External Cephalic Version (ECV) which means having a doctor rotate him manually from the outside, and although risks are small, there are still risks for the baby and only a 50/50% chance that the ECV would be successful. Or we could hold out as long as we can in hopes that he will turn on his own, 30% chance, and if he doesn't, have a C-section. I saw my whole vision of what I've always expected childbirth to be like crashing down all around me. From before I could remember I have always wanted to have a natural birth. I don't even remember a single time in my life where I considered having my babies any other way. Everything I had envisioned, especially after getting pregnant and visiting the hospital that we wanted to have our baby, envisioned Scott and I in that hospital room with Scott by my side helping me through contractions then pushing that little baby out and having him placed on my chest. I didn't know what to do....
On a positive note I did get to have another ultrasound and see my little guy, and the ultrasound technician did another 3D! I went in for my 36 week appointment very excited because I thought I would be checked to see if I was dilated! Well I wasn't checked for dilation but the babies position was checked. And we discovered by first external evaluation then by ultrasound that our little boy is very comfortably sitting with his butt in my pelvic region and his head toward my chest. AKA breech. Let's just say I didn't take the news well. I was given two options after this point. We could try External Cephalic Version (ECV) which means having a doctor rotate him manually from the outside, and although risks are small, there are still risks for the baby and only a 50/50% chance that the ECV would be successful. Or we could hold out as long as we can in hopes that he will turn on his own, 30% chance, and if he doesn't, have a C-section. I saw my whole vision of what I've always expected childbirth to be like crashing down all around me. From before I could remember I have always wanted to have a natural birth. I don't even remember a single time in my life where I considered having my babies any other way. Everything I had envisioned, especially after getting pregnant and visiting the hospital that we wanted to have our baby, envisioned Scott and I in that hospital room with Scott by my side helping me through contractions then pushing that little baby out and having him placed on my chest. I didn't know what to do....
I
don't know if she just felt sorry for me because my baby was breech so
she wanted to make me feel better or if they really did have a new probe
as she claimed.... But she told me they had a new 3D probe that they
wanted to try out. Either way I got another 3D (I think I'm just lucky!)
and it was pretty cool :) He is a chubby little thing! And for the
first time my whole pregnancy he is measuring exactly as he should be.
36 cm. So sorry all you out there who where planning on him coming two
weeks early! Looks like the midwife was right all along! ;) Other then
Baby Bergy being breech everything is looking great! He is healthy and
strong. And it turns out that body part we've been bouncing around with
our fingers for the past couple months is his head..... So.... He'll
either come out with a crooked neck or a super strong neck when he's
born!
After my very emotional/distraught day when I found out he was
breech, I was able to clear my head and consider my options. After looking up the risks of EVC and C-sections, praying, fasting, going
to the temple and Scott giving me a blessing, we feel as this point that
we do not want to go through with having a EVC. Although the risks are
small, they are still there and if something were to go wrong because we
did it, I would blame myself for the rest of my life. Instead we have
decided to fully leave it up to the Lord and put our faith and trust in
him that whatever happens is happening because it is his will. He does
know what is best for both me and our baby. And if there is a reason
Baby Bergy has stubbornly decided to place himself in the upright
position because of health or safety reasons then we will do what we
have to, to get him here safely.| 37 Weeks |

You look beautiful first of all. I'm so sorry that you took the news so hard :(. But on your positive outlook, you are completely right, Heavenly Father knows what is best for you and the baby. If for some reason the baby isn't going to come naturally, it will still be just as amazing. I have a few friends that had C-sections with their babies and had beautiful experiences. Everything is going to be wonderful! Either way he comes out, he is going to be beautiful and that's all you will be thinking. I'm so excited for you! I hope I get to see you next week, I have something for you! :) XOXO
ReplyDeleteI love you!
ReplyDeleteThis is SCOTT by the way!! :)
ReplyDelete